[Mailman-Users] Two Problems with Mailman

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Apr 7 04:28:25 CEST 2007

janedoe at mardiweb.com writes:

 > The second is not really a problem, but a request.  Is there any
 > way to sort the archives by date in descending order rather than
 > ascending order?  It makes no sense for the newest posts to be at
 > the bottom of the list.

This is a Your Mileage May Vary king of thing.  The answer is to get
an archiver more suited to your use case.  Mailman is designed to
allow interfacing to all kinds of useful utilities (and will become
even more so in Mailman 3, all hail Barry!), so it can concentrate on
subscriber management (especially self-management of subscriptions) and
on distribution.

In the interest of getting people off the ground fast, it does provide
a number of additional utilities (in particular, the archiver, but
also spam-filtering, etc).  However, these are not the main focus, so
simple implementations are all you get in the Mailman package.  AFAIK
there are no concrete plans to improve the archiver; rather to
concentrate on making use of 3rd party archivers easier.  (I'm sure
contributions would be accepted, of course, but it's not the
developers' main priority.)

A lot of people like MHonArc as the archiver, but I don't know if it
provides a most-recent-first summary page.  There are more
database-like archivers that provide user options (sorry, no reference
offhand) such as sorting order.