[Mailman-Users] Language encoding and digests...

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Apr 6 05:10:18 CEST 2007

Krystal writes:

 > > Has anyone here ever attempted to use EUC-JP encoding along with
 > > digests? I recently ran into an issue with a list whom was using
 > > Japanese as they're language, and the digest mbox file actually caused
 > > any other list on that server to not receive digests and I have
 > > absolutely no clue why or how.

Please file a bug report.  I am just as frustrated as Kikuchi-san is
with the Japanese attitude toward standards, but this behavior of
Mailman is a violation of the Postel Principle ("be strict in what you
emit, but lax in what you accept").  Mailman functionality should not
be disabled by the contents of posts it handles; if it doesn't like
them, it should strip them or quarantine them without impeding the
flow of other posts.

In the short run, you probably should disable digestible for that
list.  Mailman's I18N is not very robust in this respect, and it
may take some time to fix.

Tokio, is it possible that you could just default the error policy for
codecs as "replace" for charsets that are known to be prone to "vendor
extension"?  And add an option for the set of "replace-able" charsets
to be set by the list admin?