[Mailman-Users] Mailman scripts running with wrong group

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Apr 6 02:03:47 CEST 2007

No One wrote:

>Thanks but that link doesn't help. I installed using an rpm binary so there is/was no configure script.

I referred you to FAQ article 6.16 to help you understand the source of
the error and the reason for it. Not because I thought it would give
you a cookbook solution.

>On the other hand this is beginning to look like a Mandriva problem. The 'mailman' script has a group of 'mail' and the set gid bit is on so it should be running as mail. As far as the packager is concerned that probably also Mandriva but I don't expect to get anything there very quickly.

If you had read and comprehended the FAQ article, you would understand
that the SETGID wrapper is group 'mail' and runs with effective group
'mail', but it has a check for the real invoking group for security
reasons to prevent just anyone from successfully running it.

I wrote:

>What you really need to do is contact your packager, however I think in
>most cases, Postfix excecutes the pipe to Mailman using the user and
>group of the file in which it found the alias that contains the pipe
>to Mailman. So, you could try adjusting that.

I believe this is the solution in this case. If you properly set up
Mailman-Postfix integration as described at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>, the Mailman aliases
for Postfix will be automatically maintained in Mailman's
data/aliases* files, and if these are user:group mail:mail, I think
that will solve your problem.