[Mailman-Users] Size Limits of Files?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Apr 5 17:57:33 CEST 2007

At 3:24 PM -0400 4/4/07, Justin Denick wrote:

>  I had a user complain that she could not send mail, reply, or check Sent
>  Mail.
>  She would click on "Sent" and after awhile it would just download a file
>  called right_main.php.

I'm pretty sure that Mailman doesn't use PHP -- It's Python, instead.
So, whatever is going on here, I don't think it has anything to do
with Mailman per se.

>  After some checking I found that the file was pretty large 193MB, though
>  there were other files that were larger, but still accessible.
>
>  My 'fix' or hack, whatever you will call it, was to split the file into
>  three sets (2005, 2006, 2007), using the same MAILMAN header for each file.
>  I then subscribed to these new 'folders' and viola she had access to all of
>  her Sent mail. I then moved the data from 2007 back into the actual Sent
>  mail file. Now when she composes mail it will have some semblance of working
>  correctly.

Split the file?  Mailman headers?  Folders?  Sent mail?  None of this
sounds like it has anything remotely to do with Mailman at all.  This
all sounds like a webmail problems, or maybe a problem with whatever
program she uses to send e-mail.

>  My question is why did it break in the first place.

Seeing that this doesn't seem to have anything at all to do with
Mailman, I have no clue why it may have broken, or what may have been
the problem.  I don't even understand what you're talking about
having fixed.