[Mailman-Users] can't access /admin or /admindb/ for one of mylists, other lists work fine

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 30 03:38:02 CEST 2006

wallace winfrey wrote:

>We had a very large number of moderation messages for one of our lists
>(33,000+) so I went to mailman/data and manually rm'ed them (them being
>heldmsg-listname-*.pck).

That's part of the problem. When you just rm the
heldmsg-listname-nnnn.pck, you are only removing the message, you are
not removing the entries about the message from the
mailman/lists/listname/request.pck and
mailman/lists/listname/pending.pck files.

You should use

bin/discard data/heldmsg-listname-*.pck

or with 33,000 messages

bin/discard --quiet data/heldmsg-listname-*.pck

to supress the 33,000 "Discarded held msg ..." reports.

>I've done this in the past without any problems
>but for some reason this time it seems to have possibly screwed up my
>list config such that I can no longer access the admin or admindb URLs.
>The request is sent but the browser times out waiting for a response.

I'm not sure what's going on with the admin page. The list may be
locked. The admindb page is still looking at all those entries in
requests.pck.

>We're running maybe a dozen other lists on the same machine, and there's
>absolutely no problems accessing those lists' /admin and /admindb URLs.
>I've tried restarting mailman (it's worth mentioning that mailmanctl
>stop doesnt actually stop mailman and it has to be manually killed and
>restarted with the -s option) and apache, but nothing helps. It's also
>worth mentioning that there don't seem to be any problems with
>/options/listname. I've run check_perm and check_db on the list
>specifically, but there's no reported problems.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong here, or of
>any other diagnostics I could avail myself of?

As I suggested, you can look at mailman/locks/ to see if there might be
a stale lock for the list and if so, remove it. Can you access an
actual member's options page, or just the options login page? If the
former, then the list probably isn't locked. In either case, this
shows the config.pck is OK.

Assuming you're not concerned about losing possible other request like
subscription approvals, etc. you can try just moving requests.pck out
of the lists/listname/ directory. You may have to do the same with
pending.pck. Mailman will create new 'empty' ones when you go to the
admindb page.