[Mailman-Users] mbox files in the archives

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 22:11:25 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 15:29 -0400, Larry Johnson wrote:
> I asked a similar question to this earlier (involving the g'zipped files
> in the archives).  I inherited administration of a mailman system (I'm a
> solaris sysadmin) and have been trying to figure out the role of the
> various files in the archives, so that I know what I can clean out for
> space saving purposes.
>
> What is the role of the *.mbox files in the archives?  What would the
> effect be of removing one?  Of editing one (and removing older
> messages)? They seem to grow continually.  What is best practice for
> managing them?

The mbox files are the raw messages used to rebuild the html archive
files.  There are patches available to make them easier to manage, look
for "Daily mbox files" here:
    http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mm/index.html

I have a FAQ entry that describes what to do to disable access to the
mbox/txt files here:
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.066.htp

-Jim P.