[Mailman-Users] can't call command line functions from php

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Sep 18 22:19:05 CEST 2006

Anne Ramey wrote:

>>> I have my php script running as a user in the mailman group, but when I
>>> try to do:
>>>    //add user to Admin email list
>>>    $command = "/usr/local/mailman/bin/add_members -r ".$Filename."
>>> admins";
>>>    system($command, $status);
>>>
>>> I get a status of 1 returned to me and it doesn't add the users.
and:

>My safe_mode is Off.  There are no errors in my http log and none output
>to the screen.  I can run other commands with system and
>shell_exec...just not any mailman commands.

Are you sure you're executing the command as the mailman group?

Try

chmod g+s /usr/local/mailman/bin/add_members

and see if that helps. If it does, the problem is with the group
executing the command.

You don't want to leave add_members as SETGID if non Mailman admins
have shell access to your box as SETGID will allow anyone to
successfully run the command.