[Mailman-Users] MM lists on Gmane

Bretton Vine bretton at hivemind.net
Sun Sep 17 19:36:50 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles said the following on 2006/09/16 09:07 PM:
> The reason that they were removed from Gmane is that they tell us
> they have a policy of always contacting the listowner to see if it's
> okay for them to carry the list on their site

This is not the case with some lists on the server I admin. Industry
specific lists were added without the consent of the domain owner or
list-owner.

Additionally mail-archive.com has archived other lists without list-owner
consent as well. Additionally their terms of service do not allow you to
request the removal of the list only to prevent further archival by removing
their archive address from the subscribers.

I'm making no comment on the ppl behind gmane etc as I don't know them
personally enough to comment, and I applaud efforts at making archives of
useful lists available in a standards compliant, easily-searchable format.

However I have nothing but criticism for the practise of making lists
available online without list-owner's consent. It's as bad as forwarding
posts from someone to a third-party list without the posters permission.
Earlier this year this happened when someone's comments (said somewhat in
jest) for forwarded to an enthusiasts forum as an example of hate speech
type behaviour. This led to intimidating phone calls and allegedly death
threats to the poster from individuals he didn't know at all who took his
forwarded comments completely out of context.

It was a very sad week for the community network I look after. We've had
people meet, get married and have kids because of the lists and the related
communities. To see that abused in a negative manner was unacceptable and
led to a lack of openness in new subscriptions meaning that now for some
lists people have to be vetted and archives are completely banned.

Online means of archiving lists are useful -- don't get me wrong -- but some
sense of polite protocol must be observed to prevent abuse. Besides, doesn't
the mailman list already have an web-accessible archive front-end?

--
| Bretton Vine | 083 633 8475 | bretton at hivemind.net |
| GPG: http://bretton.hivemind.net/bretton_vine.asc  |

"I want to suck the marrow from life. As a writer, experience is a feast you
can gorge yourself on. Every moment is a kaliedascope of full-colour,
surround-sound, haptic exposure to raw reality. Life V2.0 ... now with added
zing (tm)" - BV