[Mailman-Users] MM lists on Gmane

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sun Sep 17 08:29:19 CEST 2006

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:
> On 9/16/06 11:32 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> > If the Gmane folks had actually come to us first, we might well have
> > approved their request to set up a gateway.

> So because you feel personally offended, you choose to punish all
> Mailman users by not letting Gmane carry their lists?  I think you are
> serving your own interests, and not those of the Mailman community, and
> that is unfortunate.

AFAICT, most of the "mailman community" reads this mailman list. It's not
hard to find or use. Also, decending to personal attacks does not further
the disuussion.

> Good god man, this is an open source software project.  If Gmane allows
> me and others to keep up with Barry's release announcements for example
> in a convenient manner, I think that's a good thing.  You've blown this
> issue up into comic book proportions and made it something that it
> simply is not.

I think that Jason is doing the blowing up here. The list owners/maintainers
have clearly said that they don't want to play with gmane. Done.  If gmane
had added some of my lists w/o asking, I'd have some impolite things to say
about that, too. Just because mailman is an opensource project doesn't mean
that the maintainers -owe- the rest of the world anything. (And, if you
want to keep up with announcements, subscribe to the mailman-announce list.)

Please let it rest.

z!