[Mailman-Users] MM lists on Gmane

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Sep 16 21:07:18 CEST 2006

At 6:30 PM +0000 9/16/06, Jason R. Mastaler wrote:

>  I was surprised to find the Mailman lists not on Gmane, and some
>  googling revealed some sort of religious flame war I don't really want
>  to get into.

The reason that they were removed from Gmane is that they tell us
they have a policy of always contacting the listowner to see if it's
okay for them to carry the list on their site, and I've spoken to the
other listowners and we're all pretty sure that they never contacted
any of us.  So, in violation of their own claimed policy, they put
the list up.  All of the listowners are in agreement that this is
pretty sleazy behaviour.

Unfortunately, this has happened more than once with Gmane.  And we
know that we're not the first to have this problem.  IMO, this means
we cannot trust them, either now or in the future.

I try very hard to "never say never", but I cannot imagine a
circumstance were we would possibly ever trust them to carry any
Mailman or Python-related content.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.