[Mailman-Users] Problems with digests

stephen at xemacs.org stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Sep 14 04:22:41 CEST 2006

Bretton Vine writes:

 > What gives? What is odd is that some files with " ' " in the
 > filename go to the list while others don't. I've tried changing
 > characterset in mail client to no avail.

This is a completely different issue IIRC.  For reasons I don't think
I've ever seen explained, the =?ISO-8859-1?Q?stuff%20goes%20here?=
MIME word syntax (RFC 2047, I think?) is unsuitable for use in header
parameters like file names.  So RFC 2231 syntax was invented, which
uses "'" as a syntax delimiter the way MIME words use = and ?.

Unfortunately, there is a bug (fixed in 2.1.9, again IIRC) in the way
that Mailman's decode_rfc2231 function parses RFC 2231 syntax
(basically, it doesn't expect the parameter value to contain any
apostrophes other than those used for the purposes of RFC 2231).

None of the above is necessarily accurate, but if you need more
detail, feel free to wait for the authoritative version from Tokio,
Barry, or Mark, or you can search the archives for rfc2231 (both
mailman-users and mailman-developers, I think it was reported on the
former and diagnosed on the latter).

HTH

Steve