[Mailman-Users] Question about Debian/Ubuntu Mailman Package

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Sep 12 20:26:25 CEST 2006

Barry Finkel wrote:
>I have questions about Ubuntu mailman.  I am installing mailman
>on an unbuntu system.  I have installed mailman on a test box while
>I am waiting for the production hardware to arrive and be rack-mounted.
>I wanted to install mailman 2.1.8, but the system administrator had
>me install the latest Ubuntu mailman package, 2.1.5-9ubuntu4.  He
>told me to check the Ubuntu change log to see what in mailman 2.1.8
>is not included.  I looked at the change log, and it appears that
>the Ubuntu package is synchronized with the Debian package.  I cannot
>compare the information in the Ubuntu change log with the mailman
>2.1.8 change log, as the mailman change numbers do not appear in the
>Ubuntu change log; the Ubuntu changes seem to have their own numbers.
>
>My question is this - what have I just installed in the Ubuntu
>package?  Is it mailman at some patch level?  Is there code that
>Debian or Ubuntu has added/changed from the mailman distribution?
>
>I know that there have been recent postings concerning distributions
>that modify the mailman-supplied code, and I need to know if Debian
>or Ubuntu do the same.  Thanks.

Well, there are only two ways to answer your questions.

Talk to the people who create the Ubuntu distribution or take your
source code and do a diff against the official version.

I would expect (based on the version number) that it is a 2.1.5
version packaged for Ubuntu with whatever changes they thought were
necessary to conform to their philosophy of how a Linux distribution
should be laid out on disk.

Version 2.1.5 is rather old. I believe there are some security issues
that have been fixed since that release. IMO it is a good idea to use
the latest version to preclude as many potential issues as possible.

Dragon