[Mailman-Users] Question about Debian/Ubuntu Mailman Package

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Sep 12 20:09:43 CEST 2006

I have questions about Ubuntu mailman.  I am installing mailman
on an unbuntu system.  I have installed mailman on a test box while
I am waiting for the production hardware to arrive and be rack-mounted.
I wanted to install mailman 2.1.8, but the system administrator had
me install the latest Ubuntu mailman package, 2.1.5-9ubuntu4.  He
told me to check the Ubuntu change log to see what in mailman 2.1.8
is not included.  I looked at the change log, and it appears that
the Ubuntu package is synchronized with the Debian package.  I cannot
compare the information in the Ubuntu change log with the mailman
2.1.8 change log, as the mailman change numbers do not appear in the
Ubuntu change log; the Ubuntu changes seem to have their own numbers.

My question is this - what have I just installed in the Ubuntu
package?  Is it mailman at some patch level?  Is there code that
Debian or Ubuntu has added/changed from the mailman distribution?

I know that there have been recent postings concerning distributions
that modify the mailman-supplied code, and I need to know if Debian
or Ubuntu do the same.  Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov