[Mailman-Users] a few details

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Mon Sep 11 19:58:40 CEST 2006

On 9/11/06 10:35 AM, "Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

> At 1:20 PM -0400 2006-09-11, Matt Herzog wrote:
>
>>  Not exactly. I have
>>
>>  MTA = "Postfix"
>>
>>  in mm_cfg.py. Do the spaces matter?
>
> In this case, I don't think that the spaces will be a problem
> (although Python does normally care a great deal about spacing), but
> the double versus single quotes may be something that Python cares
> about.

The spaces (or lack thereof) around the = do not matter in Python.  (My
habit is to use them; which conflicts with my (necessary) habit not to use
them in shell scripts.)

There is no difference in Python between a string in "double" quotes and one
in 'single' quotes, except that the former can easily contain ' characters
and the latter can easily contain " characters.  (Got that one by the
grammar checker.  ;-))  As in "This doesn't cause problems."  In this area,
Python is quite different from, for example, Perl and Ruby.

  --John