[Mailman-Users] a few details

Matt Herzog msh at pigeonier.org
Mon Sep 11 19:20:51 CEST 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 12:31:21PM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Matt Herzog wrote:
> > When I try try to accept an invitation to a group I get this bounce message:
> >
> > <mung-request at pigeonnier.org>: Command died with status 2:
> >     "/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mung". Command
> >     output: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper
> >     script to be executed as group "guest", but the system's mail
> >     server executed the mail script as group "mailman".  Try
> >     tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "guest", or
> >     re-run configure,  providing the command line option
> >     `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.
>
> You're using postfix, correct?  Do you have MTA='Postfix' in
> mm_cfg.py?  If not, that's the best way to integrate mailman and
> postfix, IMO.  Once that's done, you should check that the permissions
> are correct for the alias files ($PREFIX/data/aliases{,.db}).  They
> should be owner and group mailman and group writable.

Not exactly. I have

MTA = "Postfix"

in mm_cfg.py. Do the spaces matter?

As for the aliases dir I have:

-rw-r-----  1 root     mailman     41 Sep 10 17:51 adm.pw
-rw-rw----  1 root     mailman   1922 Sep 11 10:53 aliases
-rw-r-----  1 mailman  mailman  65536 Sep 11 10:53 aliases.db
-rw-rw----  1 mailman  mailman      6 Sep 11 10:50 master-qrunner.pid

Something keeps changing the ownership of the aliases file to root.
I had chowned it to mailman:mailman earlier today.

While trying to remember what "mailwrapper" represents I read "man mailwrapper" and realized that /usr/sbin/sendmail is supposed to be a symlink to /usr/sbin/mailwrapper, and it was not. It was a link to /usr/libexec/postfix/sendmail. Ack.

Well that didn't solve the problem either.

By the way, do I need to run 'mailmanctl restart' every time I make a change in mmm_cfg.py?

> See the mailman installation manual for more details:
>
>     http://mailman.sourceforge.net/mailman-install/node13.html

I have been all over this page and site. The problem is with the NetBSD package build I'm thinking.