[Mailman-Users] Alternate SMTP setup

Jack Stone antennex at swbell.net
Mon Sep 11 18:12:13 CEST 2006

In an effort to further tuneup/speedup the list deliveries (being choked again today), I have used the method below about an alternate smtp for mailman's use. However, I have yet to see any packets go through port 1313.

  My posting lists are not huge, each under 1000.

  Sockstats shows that port is assigned to 127.0.0.1 okay, and the processes show the added instance of sendmail running okay. What did I miss?

  Here is my setup im mm_cfg.py:
  # Tuning stuff
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10
QRUNNER_LOCK_LIFETIME = hours(20)
QRUNNER_PROCESS_LIFETIME = hours(2)
QRUNNER_MAX_MESSAGES = 50000
  # define alternate SMTP port
SMTPPORT = 1313

  Running MM-2.8x/FBSD-6.1/Sendmail-8.13.6

        /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=defer \                 -ODaemonPortOptions=Name=MSA,Port=NNNN,M=E,Addr=127.0.0.1

    Where NNNN is some port number not otherwise used (you can test       if something's in use by doing "telnet localhost NNNN" -- if it's      refused, there's no daemon listening)

    This sets up a sendmail process listening to the alternate port,       in DEFER mode, but set to talk only to the localhost interface,       so it's not accessible by anyoneother than your local machine:       no open relay problems.

    To make mailman access that port, add this to your mm_cfg.py:

        # define alternate SMTP port          SMTPPORT = 1313

(^-^)
Best regards,
Jack L. Stone