[Mailman-Users] Security / AOL

Gail gail.lists at verizon.net
Mon Sep 11 14:52:03 CEST 2006

My experience with AOL, unrelated to Mailman, maybe of more help.  Almost
without exception is all part of AOL's misguided attempts to block SPAM.  I
doubt its a Mailman issue, even the POS we're going to replace with Mailman
hasn't been the cause of issues with AOL.  Usually this has happened when
the level of security the user has on their account is higher which will
sometimes makes AOL trash the mail.  Perhaps your sign up instructions
should include instruction to those signing up  to add the list address to
their address book, or white list at AOL which might help.

Also, you should check to see if AOL has black listed your domain and if so,
apply for white list status which is annoying and time consuming but usually
gets done rather quickly.  Save that application as they'll periodically
black list you again for no apparent reason.  Also make sure your ISP has
assigned a static IP address to your list, AOL and a number of other ISPs
tend to block mail from a variable IP address.  Even if you've had a static
one, check again as my ISP running the list on has, from time to time,
reverted it back to variable for no apparent reasons.

I wish I only had 5 to 10 with AOL, I've got over 1000 and all write
complaining when their mail doesn't arrive!

HTH
Gail