[Mailman-Users] Rebuilding list archive crashed?

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sat Sep 9 18:15:59 CEST 2006

On 9/8/06, Andy <andyk at spunge.org> wrote:
> > I was rebuilding list archive, and during that process something
> > stuck, and the process has not ended.
>
> Also e-mails seem not to be distributed over the list.
> How can I restart it or ulock it?
>
> Regarding archive rebuilding.
>
> When I try to run it again:
>
> $ /var/list/bin/arch listname
>
> nothing happens, so I have to interrupt it (Ctrl+C), and only then some
> messages appear:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/var/list/bin/arch", line 200, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/var/list/bin/arch", line 141, in main
>     mlist = MailList(listname)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 128, in __init__
>     self.Lock()
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 161, in Lock
>     self.__lock.lock(timeout)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 312, in lock
>     self.__sleep()
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 496, in __sleep
>     time.sleep(interval)
> KeyboardInterrupt

The archiver takes a 3-hour lock on the list, I believe.  I found that
when I aborted an archiving run (or it crashed), I needed to manually
unlock the list. I never actually tried waiting the 3 hours; in theory
it will override the lock after the time has expired.

In my case, where there was nothing else using the mailman
installation but my attempts to rebuild the archives, I could just "
rm locks/*" from the mailman directory.  But on a real installation
with queue-runner going and other lists and so forth, *don't do
that!*.  Possibly by inspecting the names of the lock files you can
see which ones relate to your crashed rebuild, and delete just those.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>