[Mailman-Users] Running large announce list & forums

Jack Stone antennex at swbell.net
Thu Sep 7 05:11:27 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:    At 6:45 AM -0700 2006-09-06, Jack Stone wrote:

> Being a nuB to Mailman (but old hand with majordomo), I have noted that if
> a message is being processed out to one of the large customer announcement
> lists (10,000+) that it seems the separate discussion lists' deliveries
> slow down substanially -- from minutes to hours! One member report 18
> hours from post to receipt.

  <snip/>
That could be a result of a slowdown within the Mailman queue
processing system, or it could be a slowdown within the queue
processing system of sendmail, once the message it out of the hands
of Mailman.
--
Brad Knowles,

<snip>

  I'll have to check on the things you suggested, but just a quick response without more specifics, I've noticed it takes a long, long time for the announcement list to reach the sendmail queue -- and the "qfiles/out" is usually choked with queued messages for quite a while. It appears the discussion list has to wait in line..

  By past experience with majordomo, it would "cook" the big one-way announcement list for a couple hours, but still send out the discussion postings (plus regular user mail) immediately without delay -- and although the dam would burst into sendmail queue from the eventual fully-cooked (batched) announcements (10,000+), it would still pass all other requests to sendmail's queue.

  I know this is not majordomo, just looking for anything I may have mis-configured that may cause this delay. Sendmail has always handled my loads with ease -- all mail lists, plus individual users.

  I'll look at your notes more closely next.

  Thanks, Brad.

(^-^)
Best regards,
Jack L. Stone