[Mailman-Users] Config_list doesn't copy the "Public HTML Pages"

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Sep 6 08:37:28 CEST 2006

At 2:30 PM +0900 2006-09-06, <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>  > >  1. Is there some way to get config_list to do this?
>  >
>  > Not that I know of, at least not without making source-code level
>  > changes to the tool.
>
>  This really ought to be fixed.  I don't know if the templates are even
>  stored in there (I thought they were on the file system somewhere) but
>  there are a number of other things that would be nice to have a better
>  interface than "bin/with_list" for, like recording/setting the list's
>  pipeline.

The templates are stored in the filesystem, in a variety of different
places depending on whether you're talking about the standard
as-shipped language dependent versions, the standard as-shipped
language independent versions, the site-wide language independent
versions, site-wide language dependent versions, list-specific
language independent versions, or list-specific language dependent
versions, and that's just the six different potential combinations
that I can come up with off the top of my head -- I'm pretty sure
that there are some others that I haven't thought of.

How you would pick and choose which specific templates are to be
considered as part of the configuration for a given list would be a
complex subject.  Do you copy the site-wide versions or not?  If you
do copy them, do you install them in the list-specific locations on
the other end, or do you install them in the appropriate site-wide
location?  And what if there are conflicts?

This starts to get real messy, real quick.

>  But config_list knows only about a subset of configuration variables.

Right.  My understanding is that templates are not considered part of
a list configuration, and config_list has always seemed to me to be
kind of a quick-n-dirty tool, and never intended to be a
be-all/do-all 1000000% perfect list duplication management system.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.