[Mailman-Users] Firefox password issue (was: Re: Hijacking threads and netiquette ... )

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 5 23:12:24 CEST 2006

At 4:03 PM -0500 2006-09-05, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>  Given that Firefox was picking up the password, but was NOT offering
>  it back on later visits, I'll accept the argument that the basic
>  problem is really in Firefox.  Apparently so do they, and they've
>  fixed it in an upcoming release, see my recent previous message.

That still leaves us with the problem of what was causing the same
apparent behaviour with Opera, Safari, and the other browsers you
mentioned.

If I had to guess, I would say that it's probably a result of people
using essentially the same terms to describe various problems with
very different root causes, some of which may already have been
addressed in more recent versions of our code, some of which may have
already been discussed in the FAQ, some of which may not be our
fault, and there is still the slight possibility that there may be
something we could or should do to try to help make this issue more
clear.

I think the biggest problem is going to be trying to figure out which is which.

There are now twenty-six different FAQ entries that use the term
"password", and I've gone in and edited 4.45, 4.65, and 4.71 to all
cross-link to each other because they all seem to be related to the
same type of problem, albeit with various different root causes.

This is not a good situation.  We need to clear this up so that we
don't have these kinds of problems again in the future.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.