[Mailman-Users] Hijacking threads and netiquette (was: e: Obscure addresses problem)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Sep 5 21:58:39 CEST 2006

On 9/5/06, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> > I'm not convinced there's anything about this in the FAQ.
> >
> > 4.65 is not about the issue I'm raising; that's about cookie issues,
> > whereas my case is that the password field isn't recognized in the
> > first place.
>
> I've tested this on systems running both 2.1.5 and 2.1.8 and it works
> fine for me with Firefox 1.5.0.6.  The admin login html hasn't changed
> for any of those releases.  I don't see how this would be a mailman
> issue.  Even if firefox failed to save the password for me as well,
> I'd see that as a firefox problem.  The html that mailman uses for
> that form is pretty basic, so firefox would have to be pretty broken
> if it couldn't handle it.

Same Firefox version I have.  Mailman 2.1.6, though (Dreamhost.com's
installation, not under my control).   I had the same thing happening
on my previous Mailman installation, though, which was whatever debian
sarge is at -- seems to be 2.1.5.  I have the same thing happen on the
Dreamhost installation using Opera 9 (build 8501).

> Have you tried using another firefox profile (or from another machine
> entirely) to verify that this isn't something specific to your firefox
> config/system setup?

If firefox has profiles, they're not in the menu and not in the help
(under that name).  But I tried Opera as well, and I've seen this over
the last two years with various browser installations.

Try <http://lists.dragaera.info/admin.cgi/dragaera-dragaera.info>, put
in an invalid password (unless you get *really* lucky guessing), and I
don't expect your browser will offer it back to you when you come to
try again; it doesn't for me.

I find I have mis-described the problem; Firefox *does* recognize the
password and save it, I can see it in the list of saved passwords.
What it doesn't do is *offer it back* when I return to the page.  Same
net result, I have to look it up and put it in each time, but
different path to get there.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>