[Mailman-Users] Hijacking threads and netiquette (was: e: Obscure addresses problem)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 5 20:29:35 CEST 2006

At 1:14 PM -0500 2006-09-05, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>>  Did you search for "reauthentication"?  Or "saving my changes"?
>
>  No; I searched for "password" and "firefox", I believe.  Obviously
>  there were a number of entries mentioning passwords, but none about
>  saving them.

Correct, there are a number of entries that mention "password", which
is why this isn't the best search term.  Nevertheless, I have gone
ahead and modified the subject lines of the two most relevant FAQ
entries to also include the term "password".

>>  What did you search for?  Maybe we need to update the subject lines
>>  or the content of the FAQ Wizard.
>
>  I'd suggest making sure "password" is in the index for that FAQ, yes.

It already is.  Indeed, the problem is that searching for the term
"password" comes up with too many entries, most of which may not be
relevant to your particular problem.  However, there are now two more
entries which also mention the term "password" in their subject lines.

>  If there *is* such a FAQ; you haven't yet exhibited one that has
>  anything to do with the issue I'm raising.

You apparently did not take the hint that I gave you previously.  You
really should search for the term "reauthentication", which will come
back with one and only one FAQ entry, which I believe is relevant to
your query.  You should also search for the phrase "saving my
changes", which will come back with one and only one FAQ entry (which
is different from the other one), which might also be relevant.

>  I don't see where "saving my changes" would come in; definitely not
>  something I'd search for when the issue is that browsers aren't
>  recognizing a password field.

Try reading the two FAQ entries in question.  If you can come up with
some suggested improvements to the wording, please go ahead and do
so.  After all, this is a community supported document, and all the
information you need for making changes to any of the FAQ entries is
already present on the page.

>>  >  Why doesn't Firefox (or other browsers, I think I've seen the same
>>  >  behavior in Opera) offer me the chance to remember the Administrative
>>  >  password for my site?
>>
>>  I'm not yet convinced that there is anything here that is not
>>  answered in the FAQs.
>
>  I'm not convinced there's anything about this in the FAQ.

That's possible.  If this really is a browser-specific issue with
Firefox, then it would be the very first time I've ever heard of this
kind of thing, and I frequently use Firefox myself.

>  4.65 is not about the issue I'm raising; that's about cookie issues,
>  whereas my case is that the password field isn't recognized in the
>  first place.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you should at least look at the other FAQ entry as well.

If I am wrong, then this is the very first time I've ever heard of
such problems with Firefox, and will require a new FAQ entry.

While this wouldn't be the first application-specific FAQ entry, it
would be the first one that is specific to Firefox, and I believe it
would also be the first one that is specific to a particular web
browser -- all other application-specific FAQ entries I know of have
to do with other types of programs, and web browsers appear to have
acted more or less the same with regards to these kinds of things.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.