[Mailman-Users] Hijacking threads and netiquette (was: e: Obscure addresses problem)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Sep 5 18:55:45 CEST 2006

On 9/5/06, Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
> At 11:17 AM -0500 2006-09-05, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
> >>  First off, please don't hijack existing threads and leave the subject
> >>  line the same.  If you have a new topic, please create a new message
> >>  with a new subject.
> >
> >  Sorry about this ending up attached to the thread.  I don't see how it
> >  did, and it wasn't my intention.
>
> When you "reply" to a previous message, this is what happens.
>
> If you have a new topic, please don't "reply" to a previous message
> and then continue on discussing whatever unrelated questions you may
> have.

I suppose that could be what happened.  Look, I've been participating
on Arpanet and Internet email lists since 1981, but every now and then
the fingers don't quite do it right, and we're all just going to have
to live with that; the perfect error-free human being has not yet been
invented.

> >>  Secondly, your wording of this question suggests that you have not
> >>  yet searched the FAQ or the archives before posting -- see FAQ 1.22.
> >
> >  I can find nothing in the FAQ relating to this.  However, the copy of
> >  the FAQ I have found doesn't have numbers (list.org, documentation,
> >  FAQ), so I'm not sure I've looked at the exact item you think
> >  addresses it.  Where is this FAQ 1.22?
>
> The Mailman "docs" page at <http://www.list.org/docs.html> actually
> links to two different FAQs.  One is the old developer-maintained
> page at <http://www.list.org/faq.html>, and one links to the newer
> community-driven Mailman FAQ Wizard at
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>.

Ah, they have different content.   Okay.  And I've now checked through
the Wizard-driven FAQ and also find nothing relevant.

> In addition, if you look at the footer of every single post to this
> list, you will see the following information:

Oops, my fault again; gmail was hiding it.  I'm not used to these
stupid MUAs that muck about so much with the messages.

So, now I've checked both FAQs (I had already checked the official FAQ
before my first post, which I thought was fairly obvious from what I
wrote) and there's nothing relevant to this that I can find.

I hope you've had a good time picking on the minor mistake I made
(where my message ended up attached to  an existing thread), but could
you perhaps take a second or two to consider *my actual question*?
Why doesn't Firefox (or other browsers, I think I've seen the same
behavior in Opera) offer me the chance to remember the Administrative
password for my site?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>