[Mailman-Users] Hijacking threads and netiquette (was: e: Obscure addresses problem)

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Sep 5 18:28:29 CEST 2006

David Dyer-Bennet sent the message below at 09:17 9/5/2006:
>On 9/5/06, Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
> > At 10:30 AM -0500 2006-09-05, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> >
> > >  At least on Mailman 2.1.6, something about how the page where you
> > >  enter the administrative password is designed prevents Firefox from
> > >  remembering that password for me.  It's extremely annoying, I have to
> > >  go look that one up in Passwordsafe each time I use it, which is
> > >  nearly daily.  Anybody have any ideas?
> >
> > First off, please don't hijack existing threads and leave the subject
> > line the same.  If you have a new topic, please create a new message
> > with a new subject.
>
>Sorry about this ending up attached to the thread.  I don't see how it
>did, and it wasn't my intention.

It is very likely that you simply hit Reply in your MUA which
included the In-Reply-To: and/or References: header(s) in the e-mail.
These are the headers that allow MUAs to do threading and are also
used by Pipermail (Mailman's default archiver) to thread the messages
in the archives.

By just hitting Reply, you have attached the message to a particular
thread which has no relevance to your question. By not changing the
subject line, you have also not indicated anything about the actual
subject of your inquiry.

> > Secondly, your wording of this question suggests that you have not
> > yet searched the FAQ or the archives before posting -- see FAQ 1.22.
>
>I can find nothing in the FAQ relating to this.  However, the copy of
>the FAQ I have found doesn't have numbers (list.org, documentation,
>FAQ), so I'm not sure I've looked at the exact item you think
>addresses it.  Where is this FAQ 1.22?

It is linked in the footer at the bottom of every single e-mail
posted to this list. There is also a link there to a searchable
version of the list archives.

Look at the end of this post and you will find those links. There may
even be an answer to your question in the FAQ or archives.

Dragon