[Mailman-Users] Obscure addresses problem

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 5 13:14:22 CEST 2006

At 7:06 PM -0700 2006-09-04, Jack Stone wrote:

>  I looked at FAQ 4.4 and the method described there using an external
>  archiving tool like MHonArc with Mailman methinks is a monster [...]

It's not as clean as we would like, no.  That is an area we are
hoping to improve upon for future releases.

>                                                           [...] compared
>  to my manner of cron-run scripts that updates my custom archives every
>  15 minutes to display the added messages. My need for a "fix" was minor
>  IF I had just know where to look.

Therein lies the key.  I'm not sure what documentation you have or
have not read, and which FAQ entries you have or have not seen, but
the documentation should have made reference to the mm_cfg.py file
and the fact that you should look through the Defaults.py file to see
what options you may want to change, etc....

If you can tell us what parts of the documentation are not clear, we
will try to get those fixed.

>  Next, I'm just looking for a knob to drop the "display" of the archives
>  in Mailman's web site and have members continue to use only the one they
>  have been used to for several years -- and is not available for email
>  harvesting.

I'm not clear on what you're asking for.  Could you elaborate?

>               I still want to keep generating the mylist.txt because my
>  scripts use that monthly file. Just don't want it to appear anywhere to
>  the members or one that would join to mis-use it for spam lists.

If you search the FAQ for "archive", you might find some relevant information.

>  Would be nicer, it seems if Mailman "X"ed out the email addresses as
>  well rather than the present "obscuring".

That's another area of improvement that we have planned for future versions.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.