[Mailman-Users] How to create a list with an approved list of posters? (not answered by FAQ?)

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 22:32:41 CEST 2006

Thanks but I am still not getting this.

On 8/30/06, Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

> At 2:12 PM -0400 2006-08-30, Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:
>
> >  I have been charged with creating two lists, each with a limited set of
> >  people who are allowed to **post** to the list.
> >  One list is an umbrella list ; the other is not.  The people who are
> allowed
> >  to post are a subset of members of the list.
>
> That would be required for the umbrella list situation, unless you
> want to apply the patch where you can use the @list notation to call
> in the list of subscribers from another list and then put that in the
> set of approved senders.

I never want the whole list to be approved, I just want a few people to be
approved.

>  I see how to allow them to post if they are *not* members of the list ,
> but
> >  not if they *are*.
>
> Just turn off their moderation bits, but leave everyone else moderated.

The people who are in the sub-lists don't have moderation bits, though. If I
make them unmodearted members of the umbrella list, and they are also
members of the sub-lists, will they get everything twice?

(I will make some dummy lists to play with.  This is all fraught with peril
because much FUD exists about email at high levels. Many phone calls
accompany use of these umbrella lists. To my knowledge, our mailman
installations have NEVER lost or mis-delivered a message. But it's hard to
prove that they never will)