[Mailman-Users] Setting up mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 1 18:25:54 CEST 2006

Robert Bannocks wrote:

>I want to run mail man as part of the main name space, i.e.
>listnames at nhm.ac.uk, however the machine it runs on will be called
>someother.nhm.ac.uk, and
>the alias I want for the web front end will be lists.nhm.ac.uk.  Am I
>correct in doing this by setting the following variables in
>~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
>and that this will acheive the following
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'nhm.ac.uk'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.nhm.ac.uk'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

As long as this is followed by

>1.  When users go to http://lists.nhm.ac.uk, they will be able to view
>the lists

This will require appropriate configuration of your webserver.
Normally, you would go to a URL like http://lists.nhm.ac.uk/mailman/.
you want to access various Mailman CGIs as
http://lists.nhm.ac.uk/mailman/admindb/listname, etc. then the above
is OK and for Apache as an example, you would put something like the
following in the lists.nhm.ac.uk section of httpd.conf

ScriptAlias /mailman/       /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias   /pipermail/     /path/to/mailman/archives/public/
RedirectMatch ^[/]+$   http://lists.nhm.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo

If you don't want to use 'mailman' in the URLs at all, e.g., go to URLs
like http://lists.nhm.ac.uk/admindb/listname, you need something like

ScriptAlias /       /path/to/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias   /pipermail/     /path/to/mailman/archives/public/
RedirectMatch ^[/]+$   http://lists.nhm.ac.uk/listinfo

And you need

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/'

in mm_cfg.py.