[Mailman-Users] query re "message has implicit destination"(devils advocate!)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Sep 1 01:21:10 CEST 2006

At 8:25 PM +0200 2006-08-31, Bretton Vine wrote:

>  I view it differently. I have had great feedback and I highly doubt either
>  of the parties mentioned viewed a response as a "restraining, difficult
>  exercise". I /really/ use lists to their full advantage and with some in
>  particular have never felt my input or response was an exercise in patience
>  or restraint. It's a labour of love. You do it because it's what you do.

Maybe I'm getting better at this process than I have been in the
past, but I most definitely held back quite a bit in my responses.  I
did allow myself to get a bit testy, but that's about it.

It took me a while to realize that you were more playing devil's
advocate (on behalf of your boss) as opposed to actually believing in
some of the things you were saying.

And yes, a great deal of context is lost in e-mail.  Remember that
about 90% of all human communication is not verbalized, and of the
remainder about 90% is more in the tone of how you respond as opposed
to the actual words that are chosen.  Pretty much all of that is lost
in e-mail, leaving only the words -- and about 1% of what would
normally be conveyed in a natural human conversation.

>  That's not to say I don't appreciate a response (some time after the fact)
>  with another avenue to explore (thanks Mark) but compare the difference
>  between "you're harping on about nothing" to "have you tried this?". The
>  latter (in hindsight) is blindingly obvious -- and yet no-one else let their
>  sub-conscious ponder the problem a while longer.

A lot of my responses were defensive in nature, responding to the way
I felt that our entire community was being attacked, and I took that
pretty personally.

As such, there really wasn't any time available for me to ponder the
question in any more depth.  If I'd had that time, I might have been
able to find a better way to convey what it was I was trying to get
across.

Now, I may have managed to moderate my response quite a bit, but that
doesn't change the fundamental nature of the situation as it occurred.

>  Lists are communities. And community isn't about 'gifts' from the elders or
>  sticking to sensible rules. It's about invigorating the elders so they feel
>  like children in a toy-store again.

It should be about enabling people to contribute something and allow
them to feel useful, in whatever way that they find that they are
best able to do.  We don't always succeed in that goal, however.  But
as we work towards that goal, we should find that when everyone helps
everyone else, we all benefit from the combined strength, and the
result is much greater than the sum of its parts.

The big problem comes when a new person comes in, or a new situation
occurs, and one or more members of the community feels like they are
being attacked, and how they respond.  The result can either
strengthen the enlarged community, or be extremely destructive.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.