[Mailman-Users] Still can't send out from Mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 26 19:23:46 CEST 2006

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

>AFAIK, my mailman failure to send out issue, resides solely at the pathway
>from mailman -> exim. All other email traffic, i.e., exim->mailman and all
>other email traffic, seems to work just fine.
>
>I have included the debug line in my SMTPDirect.py file, and yet nothing
>shows up in /var/log/mailman/error, i.e., no debug messages.

If you have restarted Mailman after adding the set_debuglevel(1) call,
you should at least see the connect attempt logged.

You can try the following:

Give the command

/usr/lib/python2.x/smtplib.py

It will prompt you for a To: and From: address and a message body and
then attempt to send that via 'localhost' port 25 and print all the
debugging info.

Note that the /usr/lib/python2.x part of the above needs to be
adjusted, but it is the path to your installed Python library. It is
usually /usr/lib/python2.x where 2.x is your Python version.