[Mailman-Users] Mails not writing to archive immediately

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 26 13:59:51 CEST 2006

Martin Dennett wrote:

>I've just been mailed by one of my users to say that the archive for my
>list is not up to date. Having just checked prior to sending this, I
>found that by clicking on the "Date" link for this month, the last
>message written to it is nearly a week old. Downloading the Gzip'd text
>file (which never actually shows the correct size - any ideas?) brings
>me forward to only approximately 24 hours behind.

The .txt.gz file is essentially up to date (it is only updated once
daily when cron/nightly_gzip runs). If you remove the ".gz" from the
URL that accesses the gzipped text, you will see the ungzipped text,
and it should be completely up to date.

Thus the problem is *not* that ArchRunner isn't running, but rather it
is in the archiving process itself. You need to check Mailman's
'error' log which will contain error reports and tracebacks of the
exception that causes the problem. Also, the messages have probably
been placed in Mailman's 'shunt' queue and can be reprocessed for the
archive by bin/unshunt, but the problem has to be fixed first, or they
will just be shunted again.

If you don't have access to the logs, you'll have to enlist the help of
whoever does.