[Mailman-Users] Spamassassin Integration Question

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Oct 24 02:48:09 CEST 2006

At 4:22 PM -0700 10/23/06, Christopher Hatty wrote:

>  I've followed the instructions at this site:
>  http://www.jamesh.id.au/articles/mailman-spamassassin/

Personally, I am strongly opposed to integrating these sorts of
things into Mailman itself.  This should be done before the message
ever gets to Mailman, so that Mailman never even sees most of the
spam, and only has to hold for moderation the stuff that you're not
sure about.

Basically, once you've accepted the spam, you're dead meat.  By that
point, you've already lost the war.  You have to be able to detect
and eliminate spam before your server ever gets to the point where it
could potentially accept the message.  That means these kinds of
checks need to be done interactively, and these kinds of tools to
perform these checks need to be integrated into the MTA -- not
Mailman.

>  If a message is detected as spam, it is sent to the moderation queue, even
>  if that message would otherwise have been discarded.
>
>  Has anyone else run into this and managed to find a workaround?

IIRC, Mailman 2.1.6 brought in a new feature whereby you could cause
rules to fire that would result in messages being rejected or
discarded before the message was checked to see if it was sent by a
member, which would trigger the other typical rules that would result
in a message being held for moderation.

But 2.1.6 had some security holes, and there were other problems with
2.1.7 and 2.1.8, so 2.1.9 is now out.  Try that version, and if you
can't get that to work, let us know what problems you're having and
maybe we can help.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.