[Mailman-Users] max_message_size

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 23 16:38:58 CEST 2006

richard wrote:

>We are running mailman with exim and cygwin on windows sever 2003.
>Problem: all messages are truncated to about 45 Kb, be it body or attachment.
>In the administrative interface / general options for the list I have changed the field:
>
>Maximum length in kilobytes (KB) of a message body. Use 0 for no limit.
>
>from 0 to 50000.

This will not result in truncation. It will only result in a large
message being held for moderator approval.

You could as a debugging aid set it to say 50 to try and see if the
message is truncated before or after Mailman, but the underlying
truncation is almost certainly occurring in some MTA/MDA outside of
Mailman.
>Problem persists. Have triple checked all I can. I cannot see the field  max_message_size  anywhere in the mm_cfg if that's where it should be.

The Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py setting is DEFAULT_MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE, but it
only sets the default for max_message_size for new lists, and this in
turn results in large messages being held, not truncated. Mailman
doesn't intentionally truncate messages.