[Mailman-Users] Bug in the public HTML pages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 23 16:29:49 CEST 2006

iMug wrote:

>I have created four Mailman mailing lists associated with my organization's
>domain name through our web-hosting provider's cPanel (ie I do not have root
>access to the server to try to fix problems).

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.

>One of these lists returns a
>"Bug in Mailman version 2.1.9.cp1" error message page anytime a subscriber
>clicks any of the submit buttons on the General List Information page or the
>Users Specific Options page. IOW, subscribers cannot alter their settings or
>email address.
>
>As administrator, I get this same error message page when I click on the
>Submit Changes button on the Edit HTML page for either of these two pages
>and my changes are not made.
>
>I don't know whether it's coincidence or cause-and-effect, but I believe
>these bug error message pages started to appear after I had been editing the
>html of the General List page. *Perhaps* it was after I deleted a large
>section of the html code -- the "Subscribing to [list name]" section. But
>now I can no longer edit the html to put it back to how it was,  or any
>other way.
>
>Is there a way I can fix this problem? If it can only be fixed at the root
>level, what specifically do I need to request my web-hosting provider to do
>(if they are willing to do this sort of thing)?

They need to look at Mailman's 'error' log and get the error reports
and tracebacks associated with the 'bug' messages. Then if they can't
figure it out on their own, they can post that information here or
with the cPanel resources mentioned in the FAQ article.

>My alternative is to close & delete this list and start again, but this
>would be very disruptive and I would like to avoid it if possible.

And we would like to help you, but we need the information. I think
there may have been similar problems reported on this list before. You
might try searching the list archives for a solution. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.018.htp>.