[Mailman-Users] Spam - How is this happening?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 21:51:07 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 13:43 -0500, Jewel wrote:
> I run a Mailman server and have noticed more recently that it seems spam
> is being posted to some lists but when I look at the headers the message
> was only posted to the mailman-owner or the owner of the list.  How is
> this happening?

The spammer is sending to both <list> and <list-owner>.  I see these all
the time, but the copy sent to <list> gets held back for admin approval
because the poster isn't a list subscriber.  The copy sent to
<list-owner> does get though to us, assuming it isn't caught by normal
spam measures.

-Jim P.