[Mailman-Users] can't get mailman and exim4 talking on my debian 3.1

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 19 21:06:51 CEST 2006

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

>For some reason, after a recent nightmare with a hosed partition table, my
>system which had a working Mailman 2.1.5 version on it, now refuses to
>connect to exim4 and get my mail out to my lists.
>
>Here's a snippted from /var/log/mailman/smtp-failure. I have no idea what
>these things mean but hoping someone here can help:
>
>Oct 19 11:36:12 2006 (2493) Low level smtp error: (110, 'Connection timed
>out'), msgid: <mailman.23.1161064582.2493.sanchiro-patients at fyrenice.com>
>Oct 19 11:36:12 2006 (2493) delivery to scott at fyrenice.com failed with code
>-1: (110, 'Connection timed out')
>Oct 19 11:39:21 2006 (2493) Low level smtp error: (110, 'Connection timed
>out'), msgid: <mailman.24.1161064582.2493.sanchiro-patients at fyrenice.com>
>Oct 19 11:39:22 2006 (2493) delivery to sanchiro-patients-owner at fyrenice.com
>failed with code -1: (110, 'Connection timed out')
>Oct 19 11:40:54 2006 (2493) Low level smtp error: (4, 'Interrupted system
>call'), msgid: <mailman.0.1161100680.28041.sanchiro-patients at fyrenice.com>
>Oct 19 11:40:55 2006 (2493) delivery to scott at fyrenice.com failed with code
>-1: (4, 'Interrupted system call')
>Oct 19 11:44:16 2006 (5556) Low level smtp error: (110, 'Connection timed
>out'), msgid: <mailman.6.1160859275.2493.sanchiro-patients at fyrenice.com>
>Oct 19 11:44:16 2006 (5556) delivery to scott at fyrenice.com failed with code
>-1: (110, 'Connection timed out')
>Oct 19 11:47:26 2006 (5556) Low level smtp error: (110, 'Connection timed
>out'), msgid: <mailman.7.1160859276.2493.sanchiro-patients at fyrenice.com>
>Oct 19 11:47:26 2006 (5556) delivery to sanchiro-patients-owner at fyrenice.com
>failed with code -1: (110, 'Connection timed out')

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.073.htp>.

>When I revived my system, I couldn't get mailman to even respond until I
>changed my exim4.conf.template file to exim4.conf.template.new, replacing it
>with my older exim4.conf.template file. The .new file which apparently was
>created during an apt-get update pass, contained NO INFORMATION ABOUT
>MAILMAN, while the old exim4.conf.template file had all my Mailman
>references.

Almost all if not absolutely all Mailman specific stuff in exim.conf
has to do with delivery of incoming mail to Mailman, not with Mailman
sending.

Is Exim listening and accepting connects on localhost port 25?

Can you successfully 'telnet localhost 25'?

>It
>would be nice if there were some probe utility that would verify everything
>that needs to be in place, for mailman to work on a debian system.

That request/remark would be more appropriate on a Debian support list.

>btw, if I send to one of my lists, I get no response at any included list
>recipient addresses though the message shows up in the archives for the list
>as if it had gone out. Correction, the archives of all my lists work, i.e.,
>thy collect mail sent out to each list, though none of the mail sent reaches
>any recipient.

So incoming mail is reaching Mailman (presumably through the Mailman
spesific router and transport in Exim) and being processed by Mailman
whish is unable to send to the list members because of the errors
logged in smtp-failure. This basically says everything is working
except SMTP delivery from Mailman to Exim.