[Mailman-Users] What is them max subject length?

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Thu Oct 19 19:06:47 CEST 2006

Are you sure this isn't happening in a mail system component other than
Mailman?  RFC 2822 specifies that "Each line of characters MUST be no more than
998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
the CRLF."  This includes headers.  My understanding of this is that an MTA is
obligated to properly handle a header line of fewer than 78 characters, and is
obligated to handle email with a header line length > 78 and < 998 characters,
but may do so creativly, and may reject outright any email with a header line
that exceeds 998 characters.  What you describe sounds like MTA behavior rather
than Mailman behavior.  A few simple tests should answer this question.

Thus spake Nathaniel Nolet on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:42:40AM CDT

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at