[Mailman-Users] Serious Performance issue

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Oct 17 20:38:08 CEST 2006

At 10:38 AM -0500 10/17/06, Gadi Evron wrote:

>>  I am new to this list having just implemented mailman for an
>>  announce-list we host.  In short, the performance is horrible.  The list
>>  has approx 40,000 subscribers and the avg message going out is about 40K
>>  (some embedded imagery).  I know we can do better with lazy html etc.,
>>  but the system has become unresponsive.
>
>  Generally, mailman does not really cope with *very* large lists too
>  well.

Yeah, but if you've done the performance-tuning stuff correctly (see
the FAQ), then you should be able to handle a 40K list.  Mailman
typically starts to see issues when you get into lists considerably
larger than that.

And the performance enhancements that they're working on for 2.2
should help things tremendously.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.