[Mailman-Users] GNU Mailman Upgrade

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 19:51:08 CEST 2006

On 10/17/06, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have compiled GNU Mailman version 2.1.8 from source from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mailman/

All you need to do, then, is run 'configure' with the same options you
gave it the first time, then compile and install normally. The new
sources files will overwrite the old files; then, just issue a
mailmanctl restart.

That said, if your lists are anything but low volume, you need to take
some extra care to properly handle messages that come in while you're
overwriting bits of mailman. Stop mailman ('mailmanctl stop'); then,
ideally, modify your MTA to issue a 400-series error for messages
destined for mailman (or all messages, maybe), so that they are
temporarily rejected (with an error code that says 'please try
again'). Then, you should be fine to run the install.

(Sorry, I don't know how to do this for any MTA, and I don't know what
MTA you're using.)

--
- Patrick Bogen