[Mailman-Users] Template Token Hell

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Mon Oct 16 21:54:13 CEST 2006

I'm trying to do a bit of work with Mailman templates.  I've hacked the Mailman
archiving facility to handle PHP, and have done a bit of work to integrate
namazu more seamlessly with Mailman (see http://www.fmp.com/namazu) but I'm up
against a veritable jungle of different substitution tokens in different
templates.  %(listname)s is the equivalent of the Python Mailman var real_name
(the "pretty" name) in some places, while in others %(list_name)s is the
lower-case name used for directories.  Yet other templates use replacement
sequences that are more like HTML tags, e.g. "<MM-List-Name>".

A.  Is there any reference (other than reading code) where all these are
    defined for the different contexts in which they occur?

B.  Is there any plan to organize this mess into something more logical?

In particular, I'm trying to find out if there's a lower case version of the
list name available in archtocnombox.html and archtoc.html (where %(listname)s
is the "pretty" name selected by the list administrator), and what other
substitution tokens are available in the context of these two templates.
Because I've hacked these two templates to use PHP in both public and private
archives, I can do a PHP strtolower() call on the string when the index.html
file derived from the template is served, but without this hack we have a
problem with namazu.

Using the system described at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-June/037580.html, the
namazu CGI and its config program are localized in ~mailman/cgi-bin/listname/
but listname is the "pretty" name, so if I set up namazu for one of my lists
and the list administrator changes the capitalization in the real_name, the
archive search breaks.

Maybe I oughta post this on the dev list.  Can anyone here answer it?  Brad,
maybe I'll see you Thursday and you can answer this personally.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at