[Mailman-Users] Automatic notifications not going out

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Oct 15 04:06:12 CEST 2006

Tracey McCartney wrote:

>I own/moderate several Mailman lists hosted by Inmotion Hosting.  In other words, I don't run the server. :)  The mailman installation on the server we're using will not send out automatic notifications.  I don't think any of the lists I've ever run on my Inmotion account have ever sent out a monthly password reminder, and recently I also stopped getting moderator notices.

If you have admin_immed_notify on (under Notifications on the General
Options page), do you not get the immediate notices, or are you only
missing daily notices?

>I can kick out a password reminder manually from a listmember's page, so Mailman clearly has the ability to send stuff, but it's not doing it automatically like it should.
>
>I pointed the techs at Inmotion to this:  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#6.14

FAQ 6.14 has a somewhat misleading title. The real symptom of that
problem is that Mailman can't send anything at all, so it doesn't
apply in your case.

>Unfortunately, the techs there don't even know how to get to the list config page, much less fix this problem.  They've restarted Mailman twice and they "ran a script on the VPS," whatever that means.  It hasn't helped.

VPS is probably "Virtual Private Server", but beyond that, I have no
idea what that means. I wonder if they do.

>Any suggestions I can pass along to them?

If only periodic messages such as daily admin summaries, monthly
password reminders and periodic digests are missing, it is most likely
because the Mailman cron jobs are not being run. Either the cron
daemon (crond) is not running at all on the server or there is no
crontab installed for the 'mailman' user which runs these jobs. See
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node41.html>.

>Would you suggest to me that I find a better host? :)

I think you can guess the answer to that :-)