[Mailman-Users] Using a remote email account as a message source

BigglesZX biggleszx at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 20:35:29 CEST 2006

Okay, straying from topic further here, but you've already been so
helpful I'm hoping you might have a further solution to this :-).

I took the plunge and removed the mailman Debian package, and
installed from source. This has sorted the group mismatch problem from
before; my problem is now possibly more of an Exim issue I'm afraid,
but might still have something to do with a mailman problem.

If I use a local mail account (using mutt) to send a message to
listname at localhost, the message is passed through fine - goes out on
to the list.

If, however, I send the message to the remote account checked by
fetchmail, then run fetchmail to retrieve the message, it does not
make it to the list. Fetchmail is set up to pass on to
listname at localhost just as above, and a reading of the exim log gives
the impression that it has passed through okay, but then once the
administrative approval request mail is generated to the list admin,
that message gets frozen with the following error:

2006-10-14 19:26:57 1GYoDp-00066c-Ec ** listname-bounces at my.FQDN.com:
Unrouteable address

I thought I had configured exim to accept mail to this domain
correctly, but perhaps not - my question is why mailman won't deliver
the post to the list when it is sent in this manner.

The only difference between the two sendings is the sender's address -
the post goes through when the sender is @localhost or my FQDN - or to
put it another way, no admin message is generated when the mail
originates from the local machine. Have I missed a configuration
option relating to mail originating from the local machine?

Thanks once again for your time, and apologies for my departure from
the original topic.

   Biggs

biggleszx at gmail.com
http://www.biggleszx.com/
ICQ 104870111

[ Because I used to be...

T H E B A S T A R D O P E R A T O R F R O M H E L L ! ! !

...and sometimes, late at night I get these twitches. Like dead people
get. (Or, as I prefer to call them, perfect computer users)

In the mornings I get them too. Like when the phone rings. And when I
get email. And when people talk to me. AND when people are hogging the
expresso machine to make fluffy milk. But apart from that I'm cured. A
new man. ]