[Mailman-Users] Changing site domain name

Chris Puttick cputtick at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 08:11:33 CEST 2006

On 06/10/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Chris Puttick wrote:
>
> >Ok, the problem:

> >compared with

> >mm_cfg:
> >
> >from Defaults import *
> >
> >##################################################
> ># Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
> >DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
> >DEFAULT_NNTP_HOST = 'lists.openarchaeology.net'
> >DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.openarchaeology.net'
> >DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.openarchaeology.net'
> >MTA = 'Postfix'
> >POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
> >POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
> >DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
> >SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
> >SMTPPORT = '25'
> >VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
> >add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
> >IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'
> >
> >Any thoughts?
>

> I suspect that adding
>
> VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off
>
> to the above will fix the symptom. If it does, the underlying problem
> is that your web server is setting HTTP_HOST (or if HTTP_HOST is
> unset, SERVER_NAME) to '10.0.10.18' in the environment passed to the
> Mailman CGIs.

Ok, that works. However, AFAICT neither HTTP_HOST nor SERVER_NAME are
explicitly set. Setting what I think is the SuSE 10.1 equivalent,
APACHE_SERVERNAME (in /etc/sysconfig/apache) does not fix the problem,
but does result in Apache generated documents showing
lists.openarchaeology.net as its root:

http://lists.openarchaeology.net/nopagehere

> If that doesn't do it, try the following:
>
> In the Mailman install directory, give the command
>
> bin/withlist -i
>
> Then at the first >>> prompt type
>
> from Mailman import Utils
>
> at the next prompt type
>
> Utils.get_domain()

Interesting. Following these steps gets me:
>>> Utils.get_domain()
'lists.openarchaeology.net'

Now I'm confused...

I'll use the VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off setting for now as I'm not
assuming this list server will ever be used to hosts lists for
something other than the openarchaeology domain. Happy to try other
fixes in the interest of furthering human knowledge ;-).

> and see what it prints. Then type control-D to exit.
>
> You can also try setting HTTP_HOST in the environment and then
> repeating the above.
>
> --

Cheers

Chris