[Mailman-Users] automatically subscribe

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 5 18:29:40 CEST 2006

I need to write a script to add users to a Mailman list. The trick is that
the script will not be running on the same machine that Mailman is running
on.

When I add a user to our system, I need to kick off this script so that if
the new user is in the faculty group, their email address is automatically
added to the faculty Mailman list.

I am thinking that I could do this via the email interface. Ie. Generate a
mail message to faculty-request. That sort of works. The only problem is
that I need to do it as the list administrator or moderator so that the user
doesn't get a confirmation message. Essentially, I need it to work as if I
used add_members. With add_members, the user just gets a message that he has
been subscribed.

Can I authenticate as list administrator and then subscribe some other email
address?

This doesn't seem to work:

To: faculty-request at math.wisc.edu
set authenticate <password> address=administrator at math.wisc.edu