[Mailman-Users] Subject line filtering

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 30 19:00:08 CET 2006

First let me say that I realize that filtering is supposedly better done
at the MTA level (and we are running spam assassin), but I don't have
access to that level; I am only a moderator for several lists, and I
would like to be able to do simple filtering without bothering the sys
admin.

With discard_these_nonmembers, I use regular expressions such as:
^.*paypal\.com
^debora.*
Those seem to work fine.

But I would like to be able to filter on subject lines, and suppose this
would be done with header_filter_rules. About half of the spam that gets
through are those recent ubiquitous spams with subject lines like "Linda
wrote:" and "hi it's Linda". I tried the rules:
^subject:.*hi\sit
^subject:.*wrote:
But they don't seem to work. I am not very familiar with regular
expressions. Can someone point out something I am doing wrong?