[Mailman-Users] Private lists and trouble shooting unsubscribes

Ken Cheney kencheney at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 03:33:40 CET 2006

Thank you.  Here are my settings for Privacy Options:

  Member Filters:
  By Default, should new list member postings be moderated?  = Yes
  Action Taken? = Hold
  NonMember Filters:
  Action to take for postings from nonmembers for which no explicit action is defined? = Hold
  Should messages from non-memebers, which are are discarded be fwded to moderator? = Yes

  As a member of the list with the mod box checked I email the list.  The list not only doesnt make it to the recipients but it doesnt show up in the "Pending moderator requests" section.

  Here are also things that don't work which could lead to the problem, they dont sound like they would but I will post them anyway.
  emailing to listname-leave at domain.com does not remove members from the list.
  if i email from the list owner the emails go to all the list members except the members of the list that have email addresses on my work domain.  Example:
  name1 at yahoo.com - get message
  name2 at yahoo.com - get message
  name at mydomain.com - does not get message

  Thanks!!!

Patrick Bogen <pdbogen at gmail.com> wrote:
  This is where you want to adjust the setting I mentioned. If it's
already set to Hold (and not Discard or Reject), then there is
probably something else wrong, which is why you need to keep the
conversation on-list. As willing as I am to help, I don't have perfect
knowledge of Mailman.

- Patrick Bogen

wrote:
> On 11/29/06, Ken Cheney wrote:
> > First let me say I am very new to Mailman, very new to Linux, and very new
> to mailing
> > lists. (it took me 2 days to get the listserv to even send out :( )
> >
> > I have the listserv up and sending to my lists; however, I would like to
> make the lists only
> > emailable from the list owner. I saw one post that referred to a FAQ but
> it was not very
> > clear to me on how to do it. So, how do I limit the person that can send
> to the mailing list
> > to only the list owner/administrator/moderator? I have set all list
> members to be
> > moderated, yet they dont show up on the "tend to pending moderator tasks"
> link.
>
> What are 'they'? The users don't show up. If a moderated user sends a
> message, and member_moderation_action is set to 'Hold,' then the
> message will show up in the admin interface.
>
> The general way to do what you want is: set all members to moderated.
> Set 'default_member_moderation' for the list to 'Yes'. Set
> 'member_moderation_action' to 'Hold' if you want to see attempts by
> the members to post, and have the opportunity to approve them. Set it
> to 'reject,' otherwise, which will bounce the message and tell the
> user why. To allow certain users (based on email address) to
> automatically post, add their email addresses to
> accept_these_nonmembers. This is probably the easiest, although least
> secure, way to do this.
>
> The better (though potentially more complex and difficult) way to do
> this is to include the list password on any emails sent, which will
> automatically bypass the sender filters. There are two ways to do
> this: Either as a header in the email (this can be difficult,
> depending on which email client you're using), or as the first line in
> the email (this can be very tricky if you're sending HTML email. For
> normal text, it should be fairly foolproof). Either way, the
> header/line should look like:

> --
> - Patrick Bogen

- Patrick Bogen