[Mailman-Users] Load-balancing mailman between two servers

Guy Waugh gwaugh at scu.edu.au
Wed Nov 29 00:59:50 CET 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2006, at 6:08 PM, Guy Waugh wrote:
>
>> I'm still wondering whether I should be NFS-sharing the qfiles
>> directory. I haven't delved into the Mailman source code to try to
>> figure this out, but...
>
> You should be able to NFS share the qfiles directory, but you want to
> be careful about how you set up your qrunners.  However, this probably
> won't help you with what I think you really want to do (IIUC), which
> is load balance the web interface.
>
> First, pending messages are not kept in qfiles -- that's only for
> messages that are being processed by the mail delivery subsystem.  A
> message that's waiting for moderation will get dequeued until it's
> approved, at which point it will be re-queued into the appropriate
> qfile directory.
>
> Access to the "databases" which manage these pending files are all
> protected by Mailman's lockfile implementation, which has had a long
> stable history and a high probability of being NFS-safe, modulo bugs
> in specific NFS implementations of course.  So as long as your web
> requests can be completed within the lock timeouts, you should be able
> to load-balance admindb management across multiple web servers.  Of
> course, while one server is accessing a list, no other processing for
> that list will occur on any other machine, as those other machines
> wait for the first machine's list lock to be released.  However,
> processing involving other lists can still occur, as can outgoing mail
> delivery, which does not need to acquire a list lock.
>
> The story with qfiles is this: every qfile lives in its own little
> slice of sha1 hash space and each hash slice is (supposed to be) owned
> by exactly one qrunner process.  This allows the qrunner to process
> the messages in its hash slice without having to deal with pesky locks
> which slows things down as contentions are serialized (a good thing
> when dealing with databases, a bad thing when you're trying to churn
> out a stream of messages).  Thus, if you're looking to load balance
> qfile directory processing, you can still do that if you assign each
> qrunner process on each machine a unique slice of the hash space -- it
> must be unique across all machines.  IOW, machine 1 could handle the
> odd slices of qfile/in while machine 2 could handle the even slices.
> Or you could have 8 qrunners on each machine and slice up qfiles/in 16
> ways (the implementation requires a factor of 2 in the number of hash
> slices).
>
> Of course, if machine 1 went down, all the messages in its hash slices
> would sit unprocessed, but it would be a fairly simple matter to
> reconfigure machine 2 to handle machine 1's slices, or to bring up a
> fallback machine to handle those slices in the meantime.
>
> That's the intent anyway <wink>.  I hope this makes sense and helps
> you better plan your operational environment.
>
> - -Barry
Great, thanks Barry...

So, it sounds like all information about pending posts etc. is held in
the databases in the directories I'm already NFS-sharing (i.e. archives,
data and lists), and the qfiles directory is specific to the qrunner
running on that machine, so I don't need to worry about NFS-sharing any
of the other Mailman directories.

Yeehoo!

Thanks again,
Guy.