[Mailman-Users] Mailman newbie installation problems on virtual server

Ken McMahon ken at lookaroundcornwall.com
Tue Nov 21 23:28:32 CET 2006

I'm attempting, it seems against my better judgement, to install Mailman
2.1.9 on my virtual server. I have very limited knowledge of Webserver
configuration, Python, or anything else, but I've managed most of it
successfully. I think the problem I have is to do with VirtualHost setup. I
have installed Mailman with reference to the installation manual and
(apparently quite outdated) documentation on my ISP website. I have
successfully installed the files and run check_perms with no problem.

I've set up a VirtualHost as follows:

<VirtualHost mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com>
ServerName mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com
ServerAdmin mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com
DocumentRoot /home/mailman
ScriptAlias /mailman /home/mailman/cgi-bin
Alias /pipermail /home/mailman/archives/public
</VirtualHost>

And added a cname record to the lookaroundcornwall.com zone file pointing
mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com to lookaroundcornwall.com

I've setup a test list, and added the aliases generated to
/usr/local/etc/mail/aliases, then run newaliases.

I receive the confirmation email with the password and links to the web
config and user pages -

You can configure your mailing list at the following web page:

    http://mailman.lookaroundcornwall.com/mailman/admin/testlist

The web page for users of your mailing list is:

But, these pages don't exist.

I think, (probably incorrectly, given I don't really know what I'm doing)
that the problem may lie in the /usr/local/home/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py
file. On the ISP advice, I've changed DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and
DEFAULT-URL_HOST as follows

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lookaroundcornwall.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lookaroundcornwall.com'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://mailman.%s/mailman/'

Clearly, something ain't right as these files aren't being written.

Can anybody help me sort this?

Cheers

ken