[Mailman-Users] Difficulties with mailman 2.1.5

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Nov 19 09:52:50 CET 2006

At 8:20 AM -0500 11/18/06, Alan McConnell wrote:

>  Now here is an "ignoramus" question, from one who knoweth not Python:
>  If mailman is "powered by Python", why is not an upgrade from mailman
>  2.1.5 to, say, 2.1.9, accomplished by simply grabbin the new python
>  scripts(hey, they are simply text files, right?) and dropping them
>  into place?  (of course the data -- the database of list members --
>  has to be backed up appropriately and restored, perhaps with new
>  fields added).    Yes, I know this is a dumb question<g>; but I hope
>  for an intelligent answer, letting me, and the Patriot Support staff,
>  know exactly what is involved in a real, non-Debian dependent upgrade.

The Debian guys have moved stuff around.  You can't just drop the
2.1.9 code onto a Debian machine and expect it to work properly -- it
won't be able to find any of the files from the Debian-hacked version
of 2.1.5 that was previously installed.

When you take the current tarball and do a "make install" on that, it
will put all the various files in the Mailman-standard locations,
which are most definitely not the same as the Debian-standard
locations for those kinds of things.  You could copy the respective
list configuration and list archive files from the Debian-standard
location to the Mailman-standard location, and if you do it right
then you should be able to get your system upgraded from 2.1.5 to
2.1.9.

But this isn't just a simple drop-in replacement.

What really needs to happen is the Debian guys need to get 2.1.9 and
"Debian-ize" that codebase, and then ship that out to all their
customers.  Problem is, the Debian project is well-known for being
multiple years behind the current state-of-whatever, so $DEITY only
knows when you might ever see this kind of update -- Maybe about the
same time we're shipping Mailman3.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.