[Mailman-Users] Difficulties with mailman 2.1.5

Alan McConnell alan at patriot.net
Fri Nov 17 21:10:58 CET 2006

Hi, Brad,  I've been silent, uncourteously not thanking you
for your helpful message, because I wanted to act on
your suggestions before replying.

I have been in touch with the tech staff at PatriotNet(to
whom I'm cc-ing this, and they have responded that they
are running Debian, with its well-known system of upgrades,
security fixes, etc.  I run Debian at home, so I know a
little about this.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 08:08:39PM -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 3:47 PM -0500 11/11/06, Alan McConnell wrote:
>
> > 1.  It often takes two or more repetitions to log on to the
> > administrative page.  I am always careful about typing my
> > password.
>
> On first blush, this sounds a lot like the problem discussed in FAQ
	I now can log in without repeating the process.

> > 2.  When I go to the Membership Management/mass subscription
> > page to subscribe a new member, this subscription often does
> > not "take".  I get a nice screen saying "X is successfully
	. . . .

> My guess is that this is related to issue #1 above, and if you can
> get that problem fixed then this one seems that it would be likely to
> also go away.
	I haven't added anyone recently.  I'll monitor this.

> > 3.  Worst of all: I want messages sent by our members to be
> > sent also to the member that sent them.  This is not at present
> > occurring.  I have _not_ checked the button in
	. . .

> I'm not sure what to tell you.
>
> You've checked the two things I know of to check, and yet you're
> seeing precisely the kind of behaviour we would expect when these
> features are used.
	I couldn't test this, but a PatriotNet sysadmin checked this;
	he sent a TEST message, and assures me that he got it back.

> One thing that would help is if your ISP was running the latest
> version of Mailman -- we're now on version 2.1.9.  There have been a
	Yes.  My question, addressed to you, or to any Debian
	experts here is:  using the Debian upgrade/update system,
	will the improvements of 2.1.9 by now have propagated to
	the PatriotNet system?  Debian puts a big focus on security.
	But, as I indicated above, it does seem that the system
	is better now.   (However the bottom LH corner of the admin
	screens still say version 2.1.5  !  ? )

Any comments from you or other experts would be much appreciated.
Again, thanks for your help!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    "The intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy."